Sunday, January 04, 2009

One Day!

I'm in such denial, it's unbelievable. I. am. moving. to. Africa. TOMORROW. This time tomorrow I will be waiting to board my plane to Toronto for orientation, then hopping on a flight to Nairobi Wednesday evening.

I've been meaning to blog - wanting to just sit and try to work through all the thoughts, emotions, hopes, fears that are swirling around in my head an in my heart, but the task just seems far too monumental to capture. Nor do I have time! My house is still a shambles -though it's getting much, much better, in large part to four AWESOME people who came to help me move boxes, pack up, clean, organize, and install new windshield wipers on my car (oh there was a scary, scary escapade the other night involving 12:30am, a big long bridge, slushy, windy, snowy weather, and Hillary's driver's side windshield wiper flying off into traffic, let me tell you!) - I have a freezer full of food I'm not sure what to do with, a million little things to take care of still, and I. Leave. Tomorrow. Morning!!!!

I guess suffice it to say that I'm becoming a bit of an emotional wreck. Lots to do, I've been going full speed ahead, on hyper speed, times about 14 for the last moth straight, I get little mini panicky escapades when I think about how close my departure is, and I keep having to say goodbye to all kinds of wonderful people who I won't see for a very, very long time.

I so wanted to sit and drink in the experience of leaving, but it's such a whirlwind. I'll have to try maybe on the plane (if of course I'm not completely zonked out the whole entire time!).

Suffice it to say, as crazy as life is right now, it's about to get a whole lot crazier!!!

I might be able to post while I'm in Toronto, but chances are (apart from a New Year's post it's taken me 6 days so far to write), the next time you hear from me, it will be from Africa!

Kwa herini!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so excited for you! I can't wait to hear your tales from Africa...wow!

Anonymous said...

Going to sound like a Mom-to-be:

Be safe and have fun.

Take copious amounts of photographs. Don't wander off into the wilderness alone. Enjoy every single minute of it.

And let us know as soon as your back!

Bon Voyage!!!

anne said...

I'm pretty sure I've said this more than once, but I'm SO excited for you! Watch out for those lions...

This will be a defining experience in your life that you will never forget. Take every moment in deeply! :)

HUGS!!!

Anonymous said...

Good luck! How scary and exciting! Keep us posted when you can. We're all rooting for you.

CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

Into the unknown...but not alone. Grace and peace to you!

nachtwache said...

Bon voiage mon amie! Our prayers and thoughts will be with you!

Jean said...

this week has flown by! i've been thinking and praying for you every day and i can't believe tomorrow is here already! What an amazing trip this is going to be!!! Hugs and love to you!

SlushTurtle said...

So excited for you! Happy flying!!!

Paul said...

Wow, that came quick.

Hope you've managed to get everything sorted out. I'll be thinking of you as you pass through England.

Anonymous said...

enjoy every minute - hectic or not! have a great flight, a wonderful orientation and we'll be thinking of you the whole time :)

CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

You're on your way!!!!!! Can't wait to hear how the journey is going.