Friday, November 09, 2007

I am a saint

This makes me guffaw out loud. Stick with me here...

To the saints in Ephesus, the faithful in Jesus Christ, grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ... ~Ephesians 1:1
To all in Rome who are loved by God and called to be saints... ~Romans 1:7
To the church of God in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus and called to be holy/called to be saints... ~1 Corinthians 1:2

I've gotta say, I have trouble with this one. Saint? Holy? Even knowing that it means "set apart for God," still I can't get away from the notion of some perfect, sinless being with a halo over her head, fluttering around on a cloud. But over and over in the Bible, not just in the openings of letters like I've quoted here, people who have put their faith in God are referred to as saints, are referred to as holy.

I struggle with it, too, because of how self-righteous it sounds to call myself a saint. I feel that I am quite the opposite. But it's a different definition of saint. Being a saint is to be set apart for God's purpose. It's giving up what I want for my life, knowing that God's plan has so much more, is so much more reflective of who I really am.

I guess that's the beauty of learning who I am according to God. To call ME a saint? Yeah right. But He names me far before I am worthy of the name. He calls me out to be the person I was created to be, and won't give up until I truly AM that person. Wow. That's grace for you.

... be confident of this, the He who began a good work in you will carry it out to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. ~Philippians 1:6

Refiner's fire
My heart's one desire
Is to be holy
Set apart for You, Lord.
I long to be holy,
Set apart for You my master,
Ready to do Your will.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Ummm... don't you have to be dead to be a saint? :oO

Anonymous said...

Actually all early Christians were refered to as saints - it has only been more recently that the different Christian factions have been shaping the word to suit their own purposes. So yes - if you follow the early Christian texts (Romans, Corthinians and so on) and call yourself a Christian you are also a saint. However if you are of the Eastern Orthodox religion you do have to be dead, Roman Catholic you need to be canonised by the Church, Anglican you are elevated by popular opionion as someone pious/holy and prodestants have keep with the we're all saints idea. Which leads me to idea that if you venerate saints through statues, pictures and so on are you worshiping a false idol?

nachtwache said...

Hillary, your spreading the truth!! Growing up roman catholic, I learned lots about the new testament, parables, the miracles but not really what Christianity is and that I can have a relationship with God. I always kind of thought that instead of taking the direct way to God, they take unnecessary detours and yes, give adoration that should be all for God, to dead people.
I'm feeling the time squeeze, having to blog every day.