Thursday, October 25, 2007

Wit's end

This week has been one of those weeks. You know: THOSE weeks. Where you're completely pooped by recess and you've exhausted any and all manner of strategies to get certain kids in your class to just. listen. please!

I've had it. H-A-D, had it.

I am enjoying this level, but I have got myself a challenging little class here. They are cuties, and there are the moments that I cling to that remind me of why I'm enjoying teaching this level, and I'm excited to try out a new independent working structure I learned at a workshop last Friday... all those things are good. But it's the nagging, the reminding, the disciplining, the always trying to match correction with positive feedback, the constant reigning in of the feeling that I would just like to blow my top at times with a few of them that is utterly and completely exhausting. It's being SO frustrated, but still staying even keel, staying fair, staying calm. I swear, teachers should get oscars for all the acting they do!

[rant removed, but if you missed it, it was a doozy] At least the vice principal is supportive and works with some of the more challenging kids every chance she gets. She is AMAZING. Goldstar for her! I SO appreciate her support. Because seriously. I'm going insane here.

Blah.

I'm blogging this because hopefully it'll bring my stress level down and I can actually get some work done around here. Cause I've been talking and wandering and staring at my computer screen aimlessly and haven't been able to wrap my brain around any form of work for the two hours since school ended.

All's I can say is, thank goodness it's Friday tomorrow. We're done at noon (yippee for a modified week!), and then a relaxing weekend, including some dancing - of course! - and ending with me attempting to cook my very first turkey.

Heh. That may just be some good blog fodder right there!

You know what? THIS turkey is outta here. My desk and teacher table are a mess, and I'm only marginally prepared for tomorrow, but my brain is zonked. I'll deal with it in the morning. Right now I'm getting out to enjoy a walk in the sunshine.

Zippity doo dah!

4 comments:

Niki Devereaux said...

Aw, Hillary! I hope Friday and the rest of your weekend is AMAZING. May you feel God's love and strength in supernatural ways today.
:) Niki

Jean said...

Happy Friday today!!! I hope the morning goes quickly and you have a wonderful, recouping weekend my friend. :)

Anonymous said...

I think one of my students I had my first year teaching moved to Canada and is now in your classroom! That kid about killed me! I feel your pain...hope things get better soon.

AfricaBleu said...

Finally catching up with my fave blogs again, now that my thesis is done--yippee!

God bless you, teacher--hero to all difficult little critters everywhere.

And I am so. jealous. of your new dancing "career"--what a blast! You're amazing!