Saturday, January 13, 2007

Charcoal Drawings

I will put away my charcoal drawings
Sketches of my hopes now turned to gray
I will put away my charcoal drawings
Tomorrow could be a brighter day

Such an uncanny way to have to etch a picture
What I dreamed is not the art I look at now
My interactions with the drab life’s drawings
Have left me feeling somewhat out

So I will put away these charcoal drawings
Sketches that have become today’s dismay
I will lay these down to rest,
Seek arms that give me strength
Strength to face another day

No more gazing at these disappointing smudges
I rest frustrations with artistic skills I lacked
I will lay my pencils down for now
The sun sets and I know somehow
That tomorrow could be a brighter day
Tomorrow could be a brighter day.


Words and music by Vania Levans.
Listen to a clip
here

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last night I went to my friend Vania's CD release party. According to her website, her music is "a combination of jazz and soul, with a touch of funk here and there." It was there that I realized that I need to seek out independent artists far more often. She was phenominal. Phe-no-min-al. I knew that she was talented musically, as she often sings and rocks out on her flute (no, I didn't think that was possible either. It is.) on the worship team at my church, but I had no idea she was this good. :-)

"Charcoal Drawings" was a song that particularly struck a chord with me (really, go listen to it! "Keep on" is also hers). I think it's time for me to make some changes. To stop doing things the way I've always done them, cause that way doesn't seem to be getting me where I'd like to go. I don't know what to do differently, in particular, but perhaps it will come...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No more gazing at these disappointing smudges
I rest frustrations with artistic skills I lacked
I will lay my pencils down for now
The sun sets and I know somehow
That tomorrow could be a brighter day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there Hillary. Was the relase party at Regent? If so I was on my way there when I got stuck waiting for my bus for 1hr 1/2hrs, my cell phone died and I was frozen.
Needles to say I didn't make it. Glad to hear that it went well. Sorry that I missed it though.
However, now you can see that I have internet hooked up at my home. Talk to you soon.

Hillary said...

Yeah, it was. Too bad I didn't know you were coming, I could have driven you! :(

Yay for itnernet at home!

Anonymous said...

I listened to Charcoal Drawings.

Fan-Stinking-Tastic!!

Loved it!!

Queen Bee said...

Oooooh, that was good!!