Friday, November 17, 2006

In the news

It has been absolutely POURING here the last few days. There was a storm on Wednesday that has caused flooding, downed trees, collapsed buildings, power outages, and, because of the highest turbidity levels they've ever seen in the resevoirs, a "boil water" advisory for all of Greater Vancouver. That's nearly 2 million people. We can't drink, cook, or even brush our teeth without boiling the water first. Wowsers. But yeah, the water looks pretty gross right now.

Is it bad that I did a little happy dance that my kids would no longer be asking me to go fill up their water bottles every 5.2 seconds? And then to pee every 3.9 seconds after that? I feel like I'm becoming the Pee Nazi. NO PEE FOR YOU!

BUT, what I find hilarious in this, an "only in Vancouver" type scenario, is that as of this morning, restaurants and coffee shops have been included in the "boil water" advisory. They could not sell coffee unless it was made with bottled water. At all. All this in time for the morning commute, which made for some VERY grumpy people all over this caffeine-dependant city today, I'm sure.

And the kicker? It was the top story on the radio news channel all morning.

No coffee. Because of too much rain. TOP STORY.

Welcome to Vancouver.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd go insane without coffee.
"No Pee For You!"..ha,ha,ha..

nachtwache said...

Really, top story was"no coffee" ? We sure have it good, if that's the biggest problem! I guess damaged homes only get top billing, if someone gets killed. Some of my co-workers get water from a well, they have, still, no electricity, thus, well pump won't work, so, no water. Freezers full of food, thawing, because the more remote rural areas wait longest to get their power back. Heaven help us' if we ever have to do without modern conveniences!

anne said...

This makes me remember that I need coffee this morning...

Queen Bee said...

Oh no, no, no. A collapsed building wouldn't outrank no coffee in VANCOUVER. And people think Seattle residents like coffee. Hahaha!!

Over here on the Island was pretty wicked too, Hillary. Don't think I want that kind of rain and wind again anytime soon, thankyouverymuch.

Hillary said...

QB - hehehe... well, to be fair, the collapsed building was the day OF the storm (Wed) and the 'no coffee' was Friday... but still, it wouldn't have surprised me if the coffee outranked the building.

(I think it was a builing under construction, by the way, and nobody was hurt)

And what the heck??? There's an umlaut on a letter in my word verification? How the hang am I supposed to type THAT?

... I jsut typed the letter, it wouldn't post! SHeesh.

Oh great One said...

I've become a coffee fan but I don't need it to keep my sanity. Awful water but coffee is the big story...that's too funny!

Anonymous said...

uh, yeah, of course it's top story!! although, I have to say, no pee for you! would make a pretty good one too...hehe. here's to running the taps again soon!

Anonymous said...

I would ALSO be highly upset if I couldnt drink my coffee!! Gasp! No coffee??? I cannot REMEMBER the last day that I went without coffee.

Karen said...

Hi Hillary ... surfed on via H&B2 a few weeks back. Finally delurking to say Ha! I blogged about Vancouver's loss of coffee as well. What a riot! Apparenty Tim Horton's was still available as their pots do not operate through a central bypass system.