Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Sick Days

*cough hack sputter snurf*

What??? A post at 9 am? On a school day? How can this be?

I'm home sick. I should have been home sick on Monday and Tuesday, too, but I went to school. Why? I was thinking about sick days as I was driving back home today after going in early today to write out my lesson plan for my sub. I always feel guilty taking them.

Am I really so sick that I have to miss work? Other teachers are sick, too, but they're still working. Dayquil's pretty good. Maybe I could just drug myself up and push my way through the day.

I always feel so guilty staying home. I worry about what others will think and wonder if I should have just pushed my way through the day. My logic brain tells me this is silly. How am I supposed to get better if I don't rest? And why go to work and make others sick, too? But logic brain gets drowned out by doubting brain.

Work work work! Not feeling well? Suck it up, princess! Why is it that our culture or our society has so ingrained in us the idea that to call in sick is to be weak? That we should ignore our health and just keep working?

Now I have all day to contemplate those questions.

Or maybe I'll snuggle into bed with a big mug of hot water with honey and lemon. I think that sounds like a better plan.

Naptime!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Get better soon! And don't worry about taking sick days. That is what they are there for. However, I know how you feel - I used to be the same when I taught. Of course, now that I am at home being a mommy, I hardly ever even get sick.

bekah said...

hillary,
I saw your comment on my blog. Thanks! I visited Vancouver in 2003, and I LOVED it. It was the perfect combination of beauty, big city, outdoors, coast, mountains, etc. I'm jealous of you, getting to live there. Do you like it?