Sunday, September 18, 2005

I must be crazy!

In a few short hours I'm off to camp. Grade 7 camp, to be specific. Five days in Squamish with 100 twelve and thirteen year olds. And I volunteered for this?!?!?!

Actually, I'm looking forward to it. I've taught music to most of these kids for two years now, so I kinda know them. They're good kids, most of them, but there are a few rough ones in the bunch, too (as one of the teachers at my school puts it, "They're not bad kids, they're broken kids." No child should have to go through what some of these kids do).

Because I only teach these kids for 40 minutes a week, sometimes all I feel I do is yell at them. That's not true, but it sure feels like it sometimes. I'm looking forward to getting to know these kid better and to building positive relationships with them that will hopefully carry through the rest of the year. I'm also hoping to let these kids know that I care about them. I want them to know that they are valued. I want them to catch a glimpse of God's love for them through me (Ok, God, you're gonna have to get me out of the way to do that!). I'm hoping, too, to get to know the other teachers I'm going with, too, and for them to get to know me a little more, too.

I really want people to see God's love in me. If you are someone who believes in prayer, please pray for me this week! I would really appreciate it!

I'll be back on Friday afternoon, I'm sure with lots to blog about! Have a great week!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just passing through. Good luck with the camp.
100 twelve $ thirteen year olds - think you are going to need it.