Saturday, February 12, 2005

Escaping with my pride (mostly) intact

Ah, it's a good thing I've had lots of practice embarrassing myself, or yesterday would have been a whole lot worse. :p

"Busted" would be a good word for it.

I was out at Regent College yesterday for a meeting, and then decided to stay and do some marking (too many distractions at home!). I was pretty much falling asleep over my books, so I decided to take a walk around UBC to clear my mind and help me wake up a bit. As I was walking, my friend Dave caught up with me. He was heading over to one of the libraries across campus so I went with him. While at the library, he found his book and I checked my email. I decided to check one of the accounts I don't check very often (nobody emails me there anymore) and was surprised to see one new message waiting for me in my inbox. Well, guess who it was from?

Internet boy.

Subject: Hello Hillary Lynn/Walking Cartoon

*GULP*

I was busted. bus-TED. He had found me out!!! Not that I was trying to keep myself hidden, play games, etc. It was just one of those things that was maybe kinda sorta odd at first, but when mixed with a lot of time, got to seem a whole lot worse. (Don't know what I'm talking about? Read the story here and then the follow-up here) Anyway, he didn't seem mad or anything, and had apparently suspected me for a while. I think he was kinda weirded out a bit, but at least my "confession" on the blog was honest. Anyway, what eventually made him put the pieces together was that he decided to check out my website again, to see if I had updated it at all. Well, he saw the link to my blog, started reading, and it was only a matter of time...

I was pretty much mortified. I knew I had to either email him back or call him, and I thought calling would be better, cause there's tone of voice and some interaction that can happen, too. So it took a few goes, but I finally bit the bullet and dialed the whole number. We chatted, I explained myself and apologized, and while awkward, it was good. He was very gracious about it, laughing about it. He said he understands, believes me when I say it had nothing to do with him, and doesn't think I'm a freakaziod! :D We ended up chatting for quite a while, catching up, etc, and I think it's all good. He invited me to stick around the site, too. I don't know if I will or not. I guess we'll see.

Whew, I'm glad that's all over with! Even though it makes fro a pretty hilarious story (boy I'm glad I don't take myself too seriously!), there'll be no more secret identities for me!

No comments: