Friday, January 21, 2005

Boats and other musings

Lately I've been reading a book called "If you want to walk on water you've got to get out of the boat." (ha ha) You know when you read something and it's just so bang on it's scary??? Yeah. Bingo. I really don't want my life to just drift by... go to work, come home, eat supper, watch TV, retire, and die. For a long time now, I've been thinking that I want to live on purpose, to live the crazy adventure God has up his sleeve for me. I read my friend Jamie's updates from YWAM, and SHE is living it... there are unknowns all over the place, and no guarantees, but man, does she live her life with a sense of purpose, and she has a wild ride doing it! So my big questions now, are, "what's my boat?" What is it that I'm not willing/afraid to give up in order to go where God's calling me? And WHERE is God calling me?

Here are some questions that Ortberg (the author) poses in chapter 2...
- What is my deepest dream?
- How much passion do I experience in my daily life?
- What do I want my epitaph to say?
- How much am I growing these days?
- How often do I take risks that require a power greater than my own?
- If I had to name the "one true thing" that I believe I was set on this earth to do, what would it be?
- How clear is it to me?

I guess part of this all stems from the fact that I don't know if I want to stay in teaching. There are lots of things that I like about it, but I dunno... maybe I'm lazy or something, but I don't think I want a career that eats up so much of my life. Of course, that leaves me wondering, "now what???"

So, yeah. That's what I'm thinking about these days... I'm sure more questions will come as I read more of the book and keep thinking about where I want (or rather, where GOD wants) my life to be headed!

No comments: